domingo, octubre 18, 2009

Escuela de Campo

Recently, I've been changed my focus from wells to agriculture, mostly supervising "escualas de campo" (country schools) and a new tree nursery that we are starting. An escuela de campo involves teaching locals how to plant high-grade potatoes that we bring from the city. A local tradition is to plow the earth using two cows, place a potato a foots distance from each other, and on top of the seeds pour sheep manure. If there isn't enough seed then the larger potatoes will be cut in half. We want local farmers to place the manure first and then the potato, so that more nutrition will enter the roots. Also, we are encouraging farmers to seal the cut potatoes with ash, so that no diseases will enter. In theory, using our high-grade potatoes (we sell these at half-price), placing the manure first and sealing the cut potatoes with ash will increase production and quality, providing local farmers with a more competitive edge on the market. I hope it works...



3 comentarios:

Nancy dijo...

your grandfather maciulaitis would be so proud of your efforts and so would uncle art! you have farmer's blood in your veins after all!!!!

David Greenman dijo...

AHAH! That IS you! At first I thought it was some campesino working his field with his little wife working behind him. Mom set me straight about it and so I looked closer. Yup! That's our son alright......hard at work!

rebecca. dijo...

...you never cease to wow me, friend.
you are really awesome. truly.
(and your dad cracks me up!)